Wednesday 3 August 2016

Dear Jane Quilt - Block J12 Rebecca's Basket

Dear Jane Quilt - Block J12 Rebecca's Basket
Dear Jane Quilt - Block J12 Rebecca's Basket
It seems that all sampler quilts have an obligatory basket block in them.  I did baskets in my Nearly Insane quilt.  This is Dear Jane block J12 Rebecca's Basket.  I think there is some dispute throughout the Dear Jane world about the orientation of this block in the final quilt.  In the original it is on its side, but I think it will be hard for me to  follow that particular convention.

Techniques:
 English Paper Piecing and applique

Pieces: 9  pieces

4 comments:

  1. I adore baskets and hope to someday make an entire quilt in this pattern. When the Bennington Museum displays the original quilt, this basket is right side up. Brenda's book has the photo turned 90 degrees. Either way, it is a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 90 degree turn of the quilt makes sense. The star within a star (not the book's redesign) makes more sense too. Are you going to make a 90 degree conversion chart for your readers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting point. I think that one of the major differences between antique or vintage quilts versus the quilts made today is that those antique quilts were all made with the intention that people would see them on a BED, not hanging vertically on a wall at a quilt show or in a photo on the Internet. A lot of those older quilts look like they are sideways to us now, but make sense if you think about how they would look when you walk into a bedroom and see the quilt from the SIDE, hanging down from the top of the mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me the orientation of the basket is a moot point...so pretty whatever way you decide to place it. I, like Wendy, love baskets and have in my mind, a plan to someday make a completely basket quilt.

    ReplyDelete