Monday 14 April 2014

Triangle Quilt Along (TQA) - The Sassy Quilter

Equilateral Triangle - Triangle Quilt Along, Sassy Quilter
Equilateral Triangle - Triangle Quilt Along, Sassy Quilter
With a few days off near Easter I have been in the mood for a different project to my ongoing Nearly Insane quilt. Different colours. Different scale. Different technique. And quick.  Then I saw that the Sassy Quilter has been running a Triangle Quilt Along since mid-February.  I was a bit late to the party, but a determined effort over the past few days has helped me to catch up and join in the Joining Rows - Link Party.
Triangle Quilt Along - Fabric Selection
Triangle Quilt Along - Fabric Selection

I spent a bit too much time dithering over the colour scheme.  I felt it needed to all come from my existing fabric stash and I pulled out a lot of fabric to work out what I wanted.  In general, I am not a big fan of grey (too much like school uniform ..), but since I have been blogging I have been surprised how much I like the use of grey in quilts, and I have been quietly picking up various fat quarters.  I also avoid solids (unless it is red ...), as I find for me, that they don't tend to work well in scrappy quilts, and why buy solids when you can have pretty patterns? However, for this project I noticed from the others 'quilting along' that contrasting solids gave the triangles a sharp definition, and really added something to the overall quilt.  I was looking for different - hence the above colour scheme.

EZ Quilting 60 degree Triangle designed by Darlene Zimmerman
EZ Quilting 60 degree  Equilateral Triangle designed by Darlene Zimmerman
I will admit that I spent a bit of money on a ruler.  I have been looking out for a 60 degree Equilateral triangle for a while, and this was the excuse to buy one. 

60 degree triangles cut ready for stitching into a quilt
60 degree triangles cut ready for stitching into a quilt

The triangle ruler made easy work of cutting out the triangles.  The original design suggested by the Sassy Quilter was 12 rows of 17 triangles (204 total), but I have increased mine to 13 rows with 18 triangles (234 total). I managed to get about 12 - 15 triangles from a fat quarter, and used about 17 different fabrics.

Equilateral Triangle Quilt
Equilateral Triangle Quilt - Triangle Quilt Along at the Sassy Quilter
I have also in-filled the edges with the scraps from my cutting out, so the final size of my quilt top before quilting is 58" x 69".  There was no particular design, just controlled randomness.  Suzi the cat did her best to mix up the layout as best as possible.

Suzi the cat helps with the Triangle Quilt Along
Suzi the cat helps with the Triangle Quilt Along
Paula at the Sassy Quilter gave great instructions and photos for each step of the way, with details on how to get your triangle tips perfect.  This didn't always go according to plan on my quilt, but pinning really helped.
Triangle Quilt v. Nearly Insane Quilt
Triangle Quilt v. Nearly Insane Quilt
No plans to quilt this just yet, unless I have a wave of inspiration, but it has been fun working with pieces which are nearly the same size as just one of my Nearly Insane blocks.
Joining up with Design Wall Monday

9 comments:

  1. Love your colour choices for this one! Grey is not a colour I normally use either, but I notice that I have quite a few FQ's in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And Suzi is always a special added feature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice colour scheme. It's funny, I have the same aversion to grey and for the same reason. Perhaps I should try using it too one of these days. The scale is certainly different to what you've been doing recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors! It looks like your cat friend is really helping out by holding down your quilt. ;) -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your choice of colours for this quilt, the deep pink certainly makes the whole thing pop!
    I've also noticed quite a few quilters using grey in their quilts over the last couple of years with great effect.
    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. I found triangles difficult but did not use a special ruler. I think I will next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That was quick! :) And this is absolutely wonderful! Love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is gorgeous. I love the colors and placement, just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colors and a wonderful quilt. What size are the triangles? Camille@focus20.com

    ReplyDelete