Monday 3 February 2014

Red and White Quilts - Sew Cal Gal Quilt Show

Red and White Pinwheel Quilt, July 2013
Over at Sew Cal Gal, they are hosting a  "Year of Red and White Quilt Challenges".  Red and white quilts?  Here? On this blog? For once, it looks like Fabadashery has lucked out!

Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
Starting off with a Quilt Show of Quilts Made Prior to 2014, I am offering up my Red and White Pinwheel Quilt. Regular readers will be familiar with it.  It was a BIG FINISH for me last summer and it was displayed in the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham.  The design was my own, inspired by antique quilts.  I did draw up the design in Electric Quilt for reference, but mainly I just muddled along.  The reverse is a red and white spotted Laura Ashley fabric, which had been lingering in my stash for many years.
Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
The quilt was hand stitched using the English paper piecing method, and hand quilted. Red is probably my favourite colour.  Red also has a tendency to bleed - but see how vibrant the red stands out against the white - it is all thanks to the Colour Catcher.

Suzi the cat under the Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
Suzi the cat under the Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
Meanwhile, I have been working on my Red and White Nearly Insane Quilt (which is due a 1 Year Anniversary reveal soon ...).  I hope I will be joining up with Sew Cal Gal again later the year.

12 comments:

  1. I love this quilt. The red pinwheels stand out so beautifully against the white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt, with a wonderful surprise backing! Sweet kitty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty! I love two color quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pattern, the quilting and the back , wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love the colour too. I like the backing with the wide white border around the spotted fabric. The quilting is a lovely design - looks like an antique - in the nicest possible way! I am guessing you appliqued the EPP pieces on to the white background?
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful quilt. I love red too. I'm planning a red and cream quilt for this year, just trying to settle on a design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply lovely! What a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful classic design...can't wait to see the nearly insane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red and white is such a lovely combination. I love the simplicity of this quilt - it looks fresh and clean and timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so fresh and crisp, red and white, I just love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! I like how it's so delicate looking. And yay for polka dots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete