Sunday 19 January 2014

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 77

Block 77, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 77, Nearly Insane Quilt
I had some fun with this block. It's scrappy, and I played about with the design to achieve the cross design, instead of the more traditional star design. Below is this is the pattern for Block 77 from the Nearly Insane Quilt pattern book by Liz Lois.  The first pattern that jumps out is the Ohio Star pattern, but I will admit that some of the star blocks in the Nearly Insane quilt so far have not been my favourite.  So with a bit of time on my Electric Quilt software, and some creative adaptations to the block, I came up with the above pattern.
Block 77 Pattern, Nearly Insane book, Liz Lois
Block 77 Pattern, Nearly Insane book, Liz Lois

After the Christmas festivities, I am back in the swing with these blocks now.  Just as well as Sew Cal Gal is hosting A Year of Red and White Challenges.  At the moment I feel I am ahead, with my Red and White Pinwheel Quilt and the Nearly Insane Quilt, but by the end of the year, I think the hand stitching approach may let me down. He ho.

Suzi the cat in the sun
Suzi the cat in the sun
We have had some miserable weather lately, but today the sun is out, and if you find a nice warm spot, like Suzi has, feeling the warmth of the sun on you is quite pleasant.  Also, this is a good reason to join in the Feline Friday extravaganza over at Sarah Did It!  last year Suzi won the feline prize - a catnip toy - it comes highly recommended.

NUMBER OF PIECES:  33
DIFFICULTY: 1/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle  11/16" (18mm) x 1/2" (13mm) x 1/2" (13mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Triangle  3" (76mm) x 2 1/16" (54mm) x 2 1/16" (54mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
Red and White Scraps

5 comments:

  1. you are moving right along with this quilt - each block is very pretty and unique I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you have done - can't get enough of these little blocks! I may not comment every post but am following you keenly - so inspiring. Sweet cat - lovely to see her making the most of a sunny spot.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frances, your quilt is moving along nicely. Looks like at least 50% done! What kind of paper pieces do you use, precut or you cut the block from the paper you show above? Suzy is such a cutie in her little patch of sun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying your red and white blocks. I think the changes that you made to this block and your fabric selections are spot on! Suzi is a doll and I love her little white mittens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun to go back and read your post from last year. Did you ever make a cat mat with the fabric? I haven't used mine yet...still waiting for the "right" project to hit me across the head. When I sell the catnip toys at church bazaars I always include a photo of my Squeaky playing with a pile of them but she is kinda biased. LOL. Maybe I should also include Suzi now!!??
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete