Thursday 21 November 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 14

Red sewing thread english paper piecing
Hand stitching with red thread ...
I really am making progress on this quilt.  Look at that spool of red thread.  There were 500 metres on it when I started, but there can only be about 3-4  metres left.  I always feel that reaching the end of spool of thread is a sign that I really DO do a lot of sewing, and it is justification for buying more fabric!

Block 14 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 14 - Nearly Insane Quilt

Moving onto Block 14.  I have used a lot of the 'Mama Said Sew' collection by Sweetwater, which was the collection that really got me going with the whole red and white theme for this quilt.  I originally had a layer cake, and I am near the end of my Red Hoops for that one.

Just 33 pieces, so quick to come together.


Block 14 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 14 - Nearly Insane Quilt
  Also working on secret Christmas gifts at the moment ...

NUMBER OF PIECES:  33
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 3" (76mm) x 1 7/16" (40mm) x 1 7/16" (40mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square, 1/2"  (13mm) x 1/2"  (13mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
Christmas Past  (14547) by Polly Minick and Lauri Simpson for Moda
Cream Bias Check Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda  #5495 11
Red Hoops (5493-31) Mama Said Sew Collection, Sweetwater for Moda
Red dot (unidentified)

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this one! I know that I say or think that about all of them, but this is wonderful! I love the "gingham" and the polka dots together, and the fussy-cut bit in the center is the perfect touch. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely! This one is very sweet! Fun to see the thread spool running out--much progress being made.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a pretty block! I love your justification for buying new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another nice block! Wow, that's a lot of thread used. I'm always surprised when I start running up against the end of a spool. :) Did I really use that much thread??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. That is so intense and awesome, I'm not really sure what more to say about it. I can't imagine putting this together, and it looks SO awesome. :) This quilt is going to be amazing when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always so amazed by you blocks! You must have a ton of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I have ordered my Nearly Insane book and cannot wait for it. Thank you for keeping the blog open for latecomers like me. It will be a huge help and guide!!

    ReplyDelete