Saturday 5 October 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Edge Block 86

Edge Block 86 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Edge Block 86 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Edge Block 86 for the Nearly Insane Quilt has only got 14 pieces.  I needed to do it, as I felt the need to get some progress on the quilt.  Work on the notorious 'Block 18' is taking its time.   I knew this edge block would be done quite quickly, and as a result I also have something to show you.  I enjoyed doing it, mainly because it came together easily, and the bigger pieces have given me the chance to showcase Red Hoops, a bigger print in the Moda Mama Said Sew Collection.
Progress so far - Block 18 Nearly Insane Quilt
Just so you know that I am not just wimping out of Block 18, here is the progress so far.  Block 18 is not difficult, but it does need your full concentration and therefore it is time consuming. To break it up, I am doing nine HST unit blocks.  Just one of these blocks has 18 pieces in it, which is more that the edge block above. As you can see, I am over half way with this one, with 146 of the 229 pieces together (that 63%!)  I hope to put some time to it this weekend to get it done.

Sparky on 'Easy Street Parking Lo't Cat Mat Quilt
Sparky on 'Easy Street Parking Lot' Cat Mat Quilt
Other quilty stuff going on here at Fabadashery - Sparky is making good use of his 'Easy Street Parking Lot' cat mat.  Good enough reason to join up with Feline Friday over at Sarah Did It, where you can also join in the 60's Batik Blog Hop

NUMBER OF PIECES: 14
DIFFICULTY: 1/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle 3/4" (18mm) x 1/2" (77mm) x 1/2 (77mm) 
LARGEST PIECE: Rectangle 3.5"(89mm) x 1 1/4" (32mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

"Red Hoops" (5493-31) Mama Said Sew Collection, Sweetwater for Moda
"Christmas Past" (14547) by Polly Minick and Lauri Simpson for Moda
"Songbird" (C2863) by Carina Gardner for Riley Blake Designs

7 comments:

  1. Not entirely convinced that 229 pieces achieves what could be done in a different way? Well done for perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you redesigned blocks for this quilt? I had the book at one time and although I never counted pieces I didn't think any of them had that many pieces!! so glad I traded the book to some one else - after two dear janes I just didn't feel like little sampler blocks anymore - your work is lovely and I love to see the progress on this quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well frankly, I'm in love with your kitty. Looks a lot like my Elly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you keeping a running total to all the pieces in the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your patience is beyond words - like a challenge (thought some of my Farmer's Wife blocks were tricky!) but not sure I would keep going with this one. Well done you, it's going to be amazing in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Block 86 is bordering on bonkers. Good luck with it. Loving the stats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm insane thinking about that many pieces in just 1 block...EPP has got to make the proecess easier tho...
    I also got a chuckle out of Sparky's cat mat being called a "parking lot" - ti's exactly what all of our cats need :)

    ReplyDelete