Sunday 18 August 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 37

Earlier this month , when I announced Draw 10, I put up a few different design options for Block 37.  With the votes in, the results were pretty evenly spread, and as I had the casting vote, like JoAnn and Lynette, I went for Option 3.
Isn't it pretty?

BTW - if you enjoy voting, don't forget to vote for Suzi, No.71, over at the Pets on Quilts Show before Saturday 24th August 2013. She would love your support!

Block 37, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 37, Nearly Insane Quilt
I have just added up the number of pieces in this 6" block and it comes to 97. For 97, this one was not too bad.  Naturally, it takes more time to cut 97 little bits, and sew them together, but now it is complete, it is my latest favourite.
Cutting patchwork pieces for Block 37, Nearly Insane Quilt
Cutting patchwork pieces for Block 37, Nearly Insane Quilt

It has got some of those teeny weeny triangles in it, and some of those half inch strips, but for this project, I would much rather have a 97 piece block than a 20 piece block.  I don't think I have tipped over 100 yet - ask me how I feel about them when I get there ....

Foundation Piecing - Nearly Insane Quilt, Block 37
Foundation Piecing - Nearly Insane Quilt, Block 37
For the first time I have used some foundation piecing for the centre of the block.  I am finding that the little pieces in the middle of some of the blocks are bulky, so I thought if I foundation pieced them (by hand!), it would remove some of the bulk, and it has done the trick on this occasion.
As I said, this is my latest favourite.


NUMBER OF PIECES: 97
DIFFICULTY: 5/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 1/2" (12.5mm) x 5/16" (9mm) x 5/16" (9mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Triangle, 1 1/2" (38mm) x 1 1/16" (27mm) x 1 1/16" (27mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:

Calico
Cream Bias Check Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda  #5495 11
Tangled Threads in Apple Red, Mama Said Sew, by Sweetwater for Moda
"Christmas Past" (14547) by Polly Minick and Lauri Simpson for Moda


 

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Gorgeous ......just love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 97 pieces - almost insane, you might say... lovely block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty block... love those little bits of dark red!

    ReplyDelete