Friday 30 August 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 17

Block 17, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 17, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 17 from the Nearly Insane Quilt is a very satisfying one.  The pattern is symmetrical, the pieces are evenly distributed, and I like the visual effect is has.  It also has 109 pieces, which I think is the most pieces I have done so far for one of these 6" blocks.  It was the August Bank Holiday this weekend in UK, and so I had a bit of time to just sit down and sew, which meant I could get this one finished.

Block 17 - Close Up, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 17 - Close Up, Nearly Insane Quilt
One of the quandaries of doing a red and white quilt, is deciding whether to stitch in red thread or white thread, particularly when the two colour are sitting directly next to each other in the quilt.  I tend to use the red thread the most, as it appears to blend into the white, whereas the white appears to pop out from the red fabric.  Naturally, the aim is not to see the stitches at all .... 

These blocks are going to look great without all that green tacking thread!

NUMBER OF PIECES: 109
DIFFICULTY: 5/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 11/16" (18mm) x 1/2" (12.5mm) x 1/2" (12.5mm)

LARGEST PIECE: Square, 1" (2.5mm) x 1" (2.5mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:

Calico
Friendship (Tonal Red) by Howard Marcus for MODA (Collections For a Cause) # 46130
Red Sprig print (unidentified)







 

8 comments:

  1. I recently had my world rocked by trying epp with hexagons without going through the paper. The twin benefits for me are that is makes it amazingly quick to pop out the papers and you can reuse your templates (probably not so important for this unique quilt). I am not sure whether that would work on corners less than 60 degrees though. Have you tried it? It would save you a lot of time getting rid of all that green thread. I did quickly realise though that you need to use a tacking thread that won't show up through thin white fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your note about how you put this quilt into EQ to print out all your designs - sometimes I wish I could figure out how to use the computer better! I have EQ and never use it. I just love watching this quilt grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice block. I had a similar thread problem sewing an indigo and cream block, the darker colours tend to recede better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is fantastic. Love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness,, 109 pieces in a 6" block. I just can't imagine how small and filly it must be. But so worth it. It is a lovely block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would totally leave me insane! So an aptly named quilt. I love the colours you are using.

    ReplyDelete