Wednesday 12 June 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 53


Block 53, Nearly Insane Quilt, at Yosemite National Park, California
Block 53, Nearly Insane Quilt, at Yosemite National Park, California
Another landmark, another quilt block.  Here is Block 53, showcased at Yosemite National Park in California, as part of our Road Trip.  We camped here for two nights, did a lot of walking, and managed to keep my stitching safe from the bears.

Block 53, Nearly Insane Quilt
This block features a heart fabric.  I have fussy cut it, only in that I have got all the hearts going towards the centre.  The hearts were too big to do anything clever with.  I am not big on heart / valentine fabric, but by choosing red and cream as my colour scheme, they were hard to avoid completely.  The other main fabric is from the Cabbages and Roses, Northcott Range which I used in Block 47.  Both of these fabrics have a bit of pink in them, which is slightly 'off piste', but with nobody watching, I think I can get away with it.
Linking with Freshly Pieced

NUMBER OF PIECES: 29
DIFFICULTY: 3/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Square, 1/2" (13.5mm) x 1/2" (13.5mm)

LARGEST PIECE: Triangle 3" (76mm) x 2 1/8" (54mm)  x 2 1/8" (54mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

Northcote Range, by Cabbages and Roses #35204 -21 by Moda
Red with White Pindot (Unidentified)
Heart Fabric (Unidentified)

4 comments:

  1. Sweet! Just don't make a bear paw block! JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! It'll be very awesome quilt once it's finished. How many year to that? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. yosemite!!! great choice. my husband grew up an hour south of there in merced and his family spent a lot of time there. we hiked half dome when we were 19. good times! and then we honeymooned there, too.
    oh, yeah, quilting . . . =) your blocks are coming along great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this block, lovely fabric choices.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete