Monday 17 June 2013

Hand Quilting Progress - Red and White Pinwheel Quilt

Marking cross-hatching for hand quilting
Marking cross-hatching for hand quilting
on Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
My Nearly Insane quilt activity seems to have been put on the back burner for the time being.  Instead, I am currently trying to catch up with my hand quilting back log, which as you can see is STILL the Red and White Pinwheel Quilt.  As you can also see, I am still using the Wipe Off Fabric Marker, which I am finding works well.  What I have found is that you need to remove it with a wet cloth rather than a damp cloth - it is the water that removes the blue mark. So far, so good.
To get this one moving, I needed a deadline, so I have entered the quilt in a show, and now I am frantically quilting to get it done.  Mind you, the pace I am going could not be mistaken for 'frantic', as there is a lot of stitching for what seems like meagre progress.  The overall plan is not fully worked out, and the more I do, the more I feel I need to do, as well as the binding, plus the hanging tab, and the quilt label.  I can see myself stitching, just minutes before I hand it over!
Book: "Quilt It!" by Barbara Chainey
Book: "Quilt It!" by Barbara Chainey

I would not say I am an expert at hand quilting, and don't feel that I have quite mastered how to choose a quilt patterns for particular quilts, but one book I find really useful is Barbara Chainey's 'Quilt It', as it gives loads of suggestions, especially for pieced work, rather than patterns for whole cloths.  I have designed some motifs of my own for this quilt, plus a lot of outline quilting, and at the moment I am working on some cross-hatching. 
It will get done.

Joining Up with Design Wall Monday! and Slow Stitching Sunday.
 

5 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous quilt! Good for you to set a deadline goal!
    Thanks for linking up and sharing your project with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Sometimes a deadline helps wonders, but then there's the pressure to deal with.:) Good luck with your time frame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to be so careful marking the crossing hatchlings to keep everything true. My tip, measure, check, measure, mark and check again. Also do not mark too much at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful quilt, and good for you to sign up and have a deadline, it helps, I know. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. I use several books for inspiration. Haven't got "Quilt It". Hope you post the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete