Tuesday 19 March 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 92

As I mentioned before, Block 92 is meant to be one of the four corner blocks.  Now ... I looked at it for quite a while.  Basically, the block is not symmetrical when divided into four, so when it sits on the corner, any fabric combinations look uneven.  For me, this will NOT do - I don't think Sparky was sleeping easy either.
Sparky  the Cat with Block 92 Nearly Insane Quilt
Sparky  the Cat with Block 92 (revised)
So, I have made an executive decision, usurping both Salinda Rupp and Liz Lois, the creators of the Nearly Insane Quilt, to make Block 92 a half edge block, and will use Block 87 as the corner block (... please remind me of this when it gets drawn).  I think Block 92 looks much nicer as a half block. 
Block 92 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 92 - Nearly Insane Quilt
There were two very tiny pieces in this block, and many of you have raised concern about the problems these little paper piecing bits may be causing me.  What I have found is that once I have secured the little piece to another, it soon becomes a bigger piece, so it is no longer a problem.  With such small sides this process takes a matter of seconds, and the problem is soon resolved.

NUMBER OF PIECES: 24
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 1/2" (13mm) x 1/2" (13mm) x 3/4" (19mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square 1 1/4" (32mm) x 1 1/4" (32mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
Roc-Lon Unbleached Muslin
Quilter's Memory, Stof Quilter's Basics #4517-11
Hearts on Red (567-R5) Makower

Apple Line Red Swirl by Alice Kennedy for Timeless Treasures  #c5710
 

2 comments:

  1. Not knowing what 92 actually looks like, I do like the block you have substituted. And it does look like Sparky is much happier.

    ReplyDelete