Monday 11 March 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 33 and Spring Quilt Festival, Duxford

I had an urge to go to a Quilt Show at the weekend, as I will not be making my usual pilgrimage to Quilts UK in Malvern in May.  A quick search on the internet revealed that it was the 2013 Spring Quilt Festival in Duxford near Cambridge at the weekend.  Luckily it was based at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, so I was able to pursuade our weekend visitors to come along too, so they could look at aeroplanes whilst the rest of us looked at quilts.  A double bonus.  I got six hours in the car stitching, and I also got to replenish my red and cream stash for my Nearly Insane Quilt.
The show was a moderate size with exhibits from a few renowned quilters in the UK including some lovely whole cloth quilts by Sandie Lush, and some lovely colourful quilt by Gwenfai Rees Griffiths, including this 'Shades of the Sargasso Sea', based on the Storm at Sea quilt block pattern.

Gwenfai Rees Griffiths, including this 'Shades of the Sargasso Sea'
Gwenfai Rees Griffiths 'Shades of the Sargasso Sea'
One of the cutest quilts there was this 'Forget-Me-Not' by Judith Scott.
'Forget-Me-Not' Quilt by Judith Scott
'Forget-Me-Not' Quilt by Judith Scott
In terms of vendors, there was a good selection, including Creative Grids which allowed me to purchase the large 15.5" square Ruler I have been 'needing' for a while - well since I realised I needed such a large ruler to square up blocks as large as those in the Easy Street Quilt.  Luckily, I checked their website before the show, and there was a discount coupon to download for use at the show - it would have been churlish not to use it. 
Non slip 15½ Inch x 15½ Inch Square Creative Grids
Creative Grids - Non slip 15½ Inch x 15½ Inch Square
I also got to spend my £10 voucher I had won from The Quilt Room in their Name a Quilt competition  - they also had a discount voucher on their website.  Red and cream fabrics were purchased and it fulfilled the spontaneous 'quilting fix' I felt I needed.
As for stitching, I managed to complete Block 33 of the Nearly Insane Quilt, and some other bits and pieces, during the journey, which means that all the blocks from the second draw are now complete.  
Block 33 Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 33 Nearly Insane Quilt

This was another simple block, perhaps not my favourite pattern, but I do like the colours I have chosen.  When making the blocks you need to remember that they will be placed on point, and this influences how you use directional prints and other fabric choices.
Joining WIP Wednesday

NUMBER OF PIECES: 28
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 1.5" (42mm) x 1.5" (42mm) x 2 5/16" (59m)
LARGEST PIECE: Square, 1 1/2" (37.5mm) x 1 1/2" (37.5mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
Rural Jardin by French General (Leaf Trail Rouge) for ModaFa La La by French General (Floral L'Arbre De Noel Red 13587-11) for Moda
Tiny Flower Print (Unidentified)

 

3 comments:

  1. "Shades of the Sargasso Sea" is fabulous...thanks for sharing it with those of us who couldn't go to the quilt show because we live on the other side of the Atlantic. That's another cute little "Nearly Insane" block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there too! I also loved the Forget me not quilt - sooo pretty :)
    I'm impressed with your Nearly insane blocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm terrible at picking favorites but I do like this block with the 2 different types of star points.

    ReplyDelete