Sunday 27 January 2013

Addressing Fabric Stash Storage

Yesterday I had great plans to tidy up the Fabadashery workroom, knowing that I had come to the end of piecing the back and the front of my Easy Street Quilt.  I had a plan for a smaller project made up from the scraps of my scrappy Easy Street Quilt, but I needed to clear the decks properly. There were yards of fabric that had been dragged out and piled up, which had auditioned for the mystery quilt back in November.

Quilt Fabric sorted into colour families
I didn't know where to start, as my current system of storing my fabric in large plastic boxes was just not working for me.  By the end of the day all of my fabric was out of my cupboard.  It was time for a re-think on my fabric stash storage. There was not going to be any sewing today. If I am honest, I had planned to put aside the holidays to address the storage of my fabric stash, along with a load of other catch-up jobs, but the Easy Street quilt took over.  Since moving into the house in 2010, it has only been recently that I have finally had time to address my workspace. 
Fabric Stash Storage - Billy Bookcase IKEA
BEFORE - Fabric Stash Storage
A lot of stuff had ended up in here, piled up on these Billy bookcases from IKEA.  I have a workroom with a storage room attached to it. I wanted a dark room to store my fabric, so that it didn't fade. This works well as it is dark, and the light comes on and off automatically with a PIR, as I go in and out, so no risk of leaving the light on.
 
I split the fabric into Solids, Prints, Batiks, and Liberty Lovelies.  Then I sorted them into colour families.
Fabric Stash Storage Solution - Billy Bookcase IKEA
AFTER - Fabric Stash Storage
The majority of the solid fabrics I have adopted, and didn't really have a grip on what I actually had.  I tend to avoid solids, as I find they can deaden a quilt in one easy move. However, looking at the selection, it is not bad, and there is enough to justify  a 'solid' project.  In fact, I have been even more tempted after seeing this 'solid' fabric project by Rhoda.

Halfway through sorting my fabrics I decided to pull all the batiks prints from the fabric colour collections.  Batiks are great for blending and carrying colour, and sometimes if I am looking for a particular colour, it is often only the batik fabrics that seem to do the job.  However, they do not always belong to every quilt, and I find that a whole quilt in batiks, often doesn't demand enough of me with regard to fabric colour choice, as the fabric seems to do a lot of the work for you.  I thought by keeping them separate, I would look at them in a new light.

With the little Liberty fabrics, because of their lighter lawn cotton, and multi-coloured prints (which were hard to classify within the new system!), I let them have a little pile of their own.  The same could be said for the Rowan / Kaffe Fassett fabrics. Yes, they are lovely, but I have found it hard to mix them up successfully with the rest of my stash, so I rarely buy them.
It was a great exercise in familiarising myself with my fabric again. You will also see that I have taken the opportuity to tidy up my library of quilting and embroidery books.  It is starting to look as if I mean business! 

4 comments:

  1. You have a lovely selection of fabrics! I am in the process of organising my small room, I have been putting it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The difference is amazing! I'm so impressed! and jealous! and drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frances, found your blog by google, as our bee-group (I'm from the Netherlands) is planning to make the butterfly quilt like the one you finished in 2006. Just love this quilt! And now, reading your latest blog you inspire me by showing us your stash and telling us how you did the sorting. I also struggled with the multicolored ones like KF, but by giving them their own stash, problem's solved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the New fabric storage. If only i were allowed to have that much space...

    ReplyDelete